Friday 17 May 2013

ARRIVAL IN LIMPOPO


Our bus to Limpopo was like five hours late, but that’s okay because that’s “Africa time.”  Which was cool, whatever.  So we just hung out with a dead rat we found on the street, which is also cool.  Oh, we met the guy who legalized heroin in Zimbabwe, Dr. Know All (it is NOT Know It All) of his own Luminati party.  (By the way, I’m typing this up beforehand so I can copy and paste and be more specific since I’m not afraid of the internet just being like “Um... no.”)

Anyway, once I got to the place we’re staying in Limpopo I pretty much realized I’m staying in an African extended-stay hotel.  And while I’m grateful that it’s really nice and whatnot, part of me is also like... I didn’t really want to come here just to be an American tourist.  I was kind of hoping for a little independence.  Last summer, the kids on the trip had their own house (which was really nice because we saw it today) where they got to cook and whatnot.  I was kind of looking forward to that, especially since it’s so much cheaper to cook.  Here, we have to pay for them to cook for us every day which is a lot of extra expense.  At least the food is good.  But the people here are really nice and we have a bonfire and food, so... yeah.  It’s nice.  Lol.

So on Thursday (May 16) we went to the Health Promotion Center and were given a breakfast consisting of old, limp (and cold) fishsticks, chicken nuggets, pastry stuff, etc.  So I just like held it in and ate it for the calories.  Pretty terrible.  Of course after this super nutritious and filling breakfast, it was appropriate to not eat again for like seven hours.  I was totally full until then.  When we finally did eat lunch, it was at like the King of Prussia mall with touch screen directories.  Plus the restaurant we ate at was decorated in the Native American style that served American food like burgers.  I’m not really sure when I left Africa and entered the United States but I’m kind of hoping to see the places South Africans like to go to rather than where they think I like to go.

Today, which is Friday, I think I’m finally getting internet access by going to the internet cafe.  Yay!  We toured around the Turfloop campus of the University of Limpopo which was cool but so tiring.  XP  I want to pass out now.  But that’s okay!  We got invited to this thing called the Bash, which is a music festival/huge party on the campus for their end of semester.  So that should be fun.  We also made some new friends!  So many of them wanted to take a picture with me, so I have a few with them as well.  

Unfortunately, I don’t have the cable to upload pictures now, but hopefully I’ll be able to soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment